Friday, November 12, 2010

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies


I often make these delicious vegan chocolate chip cookies and they are always a hit! :) Most recently, I made it for one of the Diwali nights for all my cousins and they were polished off super quickly! I have been asked for the recipe multiple times and I figured it's high time I post it up on my blog so I can just link it the next time someone asks me how to make them. :)

Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 C whole wheat flour
1 C all purpose flour (maida)
1 C vegan chocolate chips (chopped vegan dark chocolate bars would work too)
3/4 chopped walnuts or pecans
3/4 maple syrup (can be replaced with sugar syrup too but please no date syrup or liquid jaggery because they just don't produce the best taste or texture)
1/2 C oil (I like to use either coconut or olive oil)
1 T Baking Powder
1 t Vanilla Extract
1/8 t Salt
1/2 C water (or any vegan milk like ricemilk/soymilk etc...)

Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F
Mix the dry ingredients together (except chocolate and nuts).
Add wet ingredients and mix.
Stir in the chocolate and walnuts.
Pop some fresh cookie dough in your mouth and take a deep, blissful breath.
Resist the temptation to finish the rest of the dough.
Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
Bake for 15-20 mins.

Serve hot and enjoy! :)

6 comments:

  1. I just tried making these...and by god, they're awesome!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, yes they are! :D No one has been able to resist these cookies ever. I have abused their power from the first time I found the original recipe. A great one to have in your arsenal. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all ur space is magical....for some one like me who always try to avoid fat .......kudos to u
    Coming to this cookie....can I use milk instead of soy or rice milk ....by the way I am not a vegan
    Thnx in advance
    Keep rocking
    Mayuri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mayuri. :)

      You can just use water instead of plant milks. I do that often now with my chocolate chip cookies.

      I wouldn't recommend dairy. It will change the taste and texture as well as drastically reduce the shelf life of the cookies.

      Delete
  4. Hi why use maida at all? Isn't it healthier with only atta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes whole wheat is healthier, and even healthier would be millet flours like jowar, ragi, bajra, etc. I've attempted these cookies with a combination of all those flours, they're are simple enough to adapt But with each flour you use the taste and texture differs. I've found the best taste comes from a combination of maida and whole wheat, and I don't mind that as an occasional indulgence. :)

      Delete